Friday, November 11, 2011

CakeCentral and the Castle Cake

The finished product. :)


Gum paste roses and pull flowers.
Putting it together...
Drying the towers and flowers...

2/21/2010 - A full year later and I hadn't thought about cake one bit until now. For some reason, I thought it might be a good idea to make a humongous castle for Ella's 2nd birthday, so I started looking through pages and pages of Google images until I found the perfect one. Being that this would be my very first cake using fondant, gum paste, templates, more than one box of cake mix, filling and any decorating supplies whatsoever, I pulled up my boot straps and emailed the woman who made the castle cake in the picture I'd found. As luck would have it, it was posted on a website called CakeCentral.com and the user was still active. I never thought I'd get a reply from her, but within a day, I received an email with detailed instructions, templates, measurements and all kinds goodies... including a bunch of talk about ingredients I'd never heard of. So over to youtube I went to find instructional videos on how to use fondant and make a cake that has more than one layer. (I seriously knew nothing about baking.) After all that research, and studying 100's of short videos, I came out with Ella's 2nd birthday castle cake. My first fondant covered cake, my first gum paste flowers and my first "big" cake. Ta-da!
To this day, I still don't know what made me think that I could make such a ridiculous cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment