Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Too Much... Too Fast

A Mother's Day cake for a good friend that I LOVED decorating...
In the time I've been cake making (almost a year) I've already made 4 edible box calls. I think that's more than any other baker combined.


May 2011 - So after pictures went up of the Tinkerbell and Shoe cakes, I was bombarded with cake orders. Completely overwhelmed actually. I ended up missing my husband's birthday and not sleeping 8 nights out of the month, which is 8 more than I usually miss sleeping in a year.
A lot of the time, my husband would come home and say "Got another cake order for ya!... It's for tomorrow" So it was only a tiny bit stressful. That, and I had no idea what to charge people, so I ended up just letting them pick the price basically (usually around $25) and then I'd do whatever I thought looked nice. This whole financial way of thinking came back to bite me when I did my first "expense" report. I realized that a cake I had just charged $12 for, actually cost $56 to make. Crap.
All the cakes pictured here were done in the window of 3-4 weekends (since I wasn't doing anything cake-related through the week)... there were additionally 4 more cakes as well, but two were very similar, one was identical to the first "turkey call cake" I made and the other was just a cake topper.

The orders started coming in for just "cakes"... they wanted them to taste good and didn't care what they looked like. Unfortunately I didn't know how to make a good tasting cake... I just wanted to decorate :(

No comments:

Post a Comment